Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The California wildcard exemptions are not properly calculating

In Jubilee, the California wildcard exemptions (703 et seq.) do not calculate correctly at all.
It calculates $1350 plus $13K for the wildcard.
It should be $1425 plus the remainder of the homestead if unused or $28225.
Is this something I am not doing properly or is this a problem in the system?

Comments

• This is the link to the correct exemption amounts as of 4/1/2016:
    http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/ej156.pdf
  • BobbyBobby Posts: 196
    I think you may be using an old set of exemptions in that case. Within the case, click on the "J" button on the top toolbar then click on the button "Use Latest Jurisdictions and Exemptions". My guess is that this case was created in BankruptcyPRO prior to 4/1/16 when the exemptions were updated.

Please call our office if you have any questions or issues.
  • To Bobby: Nope. My account was created about two months ago. I already did the "Latest Jurisdictions" update. I'll call later today.
    I'm sorry my previous post only applies to BankruptcyPRO which I incorrectly assumed you were using. I do see an issue with the 703 exemptions in Jubilee and we are working on it now. We should have this resolved shortly and I'll post back to the forum once the amounts are updated.
    edited December 2016
    We have updated the C.C.P. § 703 exemption amounts in Jubilee. In order to use the new exemption amounts you will need to remove the old § 703 statutes applied to the property then reapply the exemptions. Also, we found a bug regarding the calculation of the C.C.P. § 703.140(b)(5) wildcard exemption that we will have fixed in the next version we plan to release Tuesday (12/20/16) afternoon. Please call our office if you need to be able to use the maximum wildcard amount in your case before we release the update tomorrow afternoon and we can provide a temporary workaround.
    Jubilee was updated late yesterday evening with the fix to the C.C.P. § 703.140(b)(5) wildcard exemption issue. Please let us know if you have any other questions or issues.
  • I saw. It works now. Thanks.
  • avaesqavaesq Posts: 5
    Now I have a problem with the 704 exemption. I have an individual who is under 65 but is entitled to our entire 175K exemption in his residence because he is permanently disabled. The program will only allow it up to $100K (what he would be entitled to if not permanently disabled) and then reduces the amount I've placed manually greater than $100K. So there is an exemption of $175, with a negative exemption of $75, making it $100K.

Please advise. Thank you.
    You will need to check the box "When using manual amounts, ignore exemption limit." You can access this setting by going to the Exemption Calculator and clicking on the Settings tab in the top right hand corner of this window. Please let us know if you have any questions.